SCREEN-L Archives

January 1994

From:
Dirk Eitzen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 1994 15:11:23 -0500
In answer to the recent query about where to obtain documentaries on video:

Bill Nichols did us all a great service by compiling a list of distributors
of documentaries in both film and video--including Facets, National Film
Board of Canada, etc.--along with a description of the kind of materials
they handle. That is published at the back of his book _Representing
Reality_ (Indiana University Press, 1991). I have noticed that, for some
reason, he neglected to include a very good L.A. distributor, Direct Cinema
Ltd., which has an excellent collection of American "verite" films. (Tel.
800-345-6748) Many American universities also have large circulating
collections that include old newsreels, TV series, educational and
instructional documentaries and the like, which can be rented for modest
fees. One of the largest is Indiana University (although I have heard
rumors that IU is getting out of the distribution business), but there are
many others. Most of these are indexed in Bowker's Film and Video Locator.
 For well-known (and even some more obscure) titles, also look at Bowker's
Complete Video Directory to find the distributor.