SCREEN-L Archives

January 1994

From:
Kathleen Ely <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 1994 11:12:54 -0700
Thought you all might find this note of interest....

From: CreativeWritinginEducationforTeachersandStudents 21-JAN-1994 03:24:25.07
To: engl_ely
CC:
Subj: Re: Philadelphia.

Crewtons: I did go to see this film yesterday a Cinemaplex 8. I have a
student who works there, Jamie Gregory, and she told me that the theater
complex will now lend deaf people a device which allows them to hear the
dialogue of the movie. I want to report that the device works superbly and
that for the first time in almost a decade I could hear every word of
dialogue in this film, even one of the jokes whispered through a plastic
breathing device--"What do you call a thousand lawyers chained at the
bottom of the sea? A. A good start." I was so enthralled by the fact that
I could actually "get into a movie" again that it may have colored my
reaction to the movie (but not all that much.) In every respect the movie
is a superior movie. I expected to be offended and angered by Denzel
Washington's homophobia; instead, I found myself agreeing with him. Can
you imagine? Plus, the acting is so convincing, I believed in each
character one hundred percent of the time. I can almost say, "this movie
is flawless." I didn't detect any flaws in it anyway. It is a superior
production from beginning to end. I would be happy to talk to anyone about
this film. I may even go back to see it a second time. Johnboy.
        Oh, I had a weird experience during the "gay party" in the film.
Suddenly Michael Callen and the Flirtations were singing at this party. I
know Michael. In fact, he is one of the best friends of my film-maker
friend David Lamble in San Francisco. Michael died of AIDS ten days ago.
It was a very strange experience to see him in the film knowing he died
less than two weeks ago. David called from SF to tell me. Then, of course,
there were extended eulogies in the gay press. Still, what a strange
experience--to be both in and out of the film at that moment, seeing a
friend who died of the disease so recently.
        It is not possible to see this film without weeping. In fact, I
have begun crying now, for the thousands gone, including Michael. JG