SCREEN-L Archives

January 1994

Sender:
From:
Jacqueline Reich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jan 1994 14:34:43 -0500
>On Fri, 21 Jan 1994 18:04:11 -0500 Dianne K Brooks said:
>>"Bread and Chocolate" was an Italian film from 70s with ??? forgot his
>>name but he was in Lina Wertmuller's Swept Away and played an Italian
>>immigrant both obsessed with and oppressed by a lighter culture.  Check
>>it out, its great!
>
>The actor's name is GianCarlo Giannini and he is Lina Wertmuller's "acteur
>fetiche." He has appeared in any number of her films. Check out "Seven
>Beauties" I believe he also had the lead in "Open Doors."
>
>Stephane

        Actually, the lead in "Open Doors" (1987, Gianni Amelio, who
recently directed the wonderful "Il ladro di bambini") was not Giannini,
but another veteran Italian actor, Gian Maria Volonte. Sorry to be such a
"pignolo", as we say in Italian, but Italian cinema is my specialty.

Jacqueline Reich
Department of Modern Languages
Trinity College
Hartford, CT  06106-3100