SCREEN-L Archives

December 1993

Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 1993 13:59:13 EST
You might consider the film, HISTORY AND MEMORY (available from Women
Make Movies: It is directed by an Asian-American woman who merges home
photographs, Hollywood films, U.S. Documentaries, and restaged footage to
explore the different ways we have understood the Japanese internment during
WWII. It draws heavily on family history and personal memory to offset
the official accounts offered by Hollywood and the government. It also
engages in a fascinating discussion of the relationship between public
history and popular memory. I have taught it before and students really
engage with the film. It seems perfect for the situation you describe.

--Henry Jenkins