SCREEN-L Archives

December 1993

From:
Bruce Krajewski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 1993 17:20:55 -0500
Henry,
        First, if you prefer to be called Henry, so be it. Please don't take
offense. No insidious subtext was intended by calling you Professor Jenkins.
I'm not in the habit of calling people by their first names when we have not
met, and know almost nothing about one another. Call me old-fashioned. It
used to be a common courtesy that one spoke about one's colleagues using the
professor designation. (Of course, now I might have misinterpreted things,
and you might have meant that you wanted me to refer to you as Jenkins.
Again, I will stand corrected if that is the case). And no need to defend
your doctorate, especially since I believe that your doctorate and mine come
from the same university, i.e. Iowa.
        Whilst I hoped to provoke a response, I did not want to anger anyone.
 Your response is edifying, and certainly answers some of my concerns and
questions. Perhaps others will be equally willing to engage in dialectic.

Sincerely,
Bruce Krajewski
Department of English and Film Studies
Laurentian University