SCREEN-L Archives

December 1993

From:
William Elliott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 1993 13:10:26 -0500
Robert Hurst raises an important point about the relationship
between education and economics.  The US educational system
(particualrly the university system) is so firmly entrenched within the
marketplace that questions of the "educational value" of specific classes
(like "Film Studies" for example), have become redundant.

Here's my solution:

All those who attend universities as a conduit to the world of highly
paid, high-powered jobs, should just pay their 4 years tuition up front
(it's an investment right?  Like and IRA or playing the stock market?)
and be handed a degree that allows them to take their position within the
elite workforce.

Those who go to university to get an education should stick around and
take classes that are challenging, force them to ask questions and make them
squirm occasionally.  I've no time for students who moan about classes (or
individual "texts") that contribute nothing to their "education" (read:
earning power).  They make me puke.

What the hell happened to this country?

Bill Elliott