SCREEN-L Archives

November 1993

From:
Chris Doran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 1993 20:29:43 CDT
To Whom, etc.
        I am working on a project at Indiana University regarding the
television series "Northern Exposure."  More specifically, I am
interested in how the marketing of the show, the actors, the characters,
and other assorted epiphenomena influence the reception of the show.
I hope to show how the show is constructed by the social practices of
its viewers and how the show is constantly redefining itself in relation
to its audience.  What I need now is suggestions for what recent
critical discourse I might read to better handle the project.  I have
tiptoed through Zizek's "Looking Awry," I have re-read Benjamin's "Work
of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction," and I have read
Barbara Klinger's essay "Digressions at the Cinema: Reception and Mass
Culture."  There are many other essays I have read in preparation
for this, most notably, Charles Eckert's "The Carole Lombard in Macy's
Window," and Jeanne Allen's work on the spectator as (targeted)
consumer.  If anyone has any suggestions, I would be much obliged.

Chris Doran