SCREEN-L Archives

November 1993

Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 1993 14:11:44 -0400
Doyle Burke is almost right about a film with Peter Falk and several
women athletes.  They weren't roller derbyists, however, but
professional wrestlers.  The film is called ALL THE MARBLES (1981),
and was directed (sloppily) by none other than Robert Aldrich

If, however, a women's roller derby film is to your liking,
may I recommend the 1971 documentary DERBY, directed by
Robert Kaylor (filmed in Ohio), or a fictional film about same
from a couple of years later featuring Raquel Welch (who does a fair
job of handling her own stuntwork).  Just now the name of the film
escapes me, but can be easily found by looking in any reference book
with filmographies of actors (no doubt it will return to me as soon as
I logout).  These films may not be as chic as PERSONAL BEST, or as
glamorous as some of the more 'aerobic' oriented women's athletics films,
but they deserve consideration.

        -- Derek Bouse, Albion College