SCREEN-L Archives

November 1993

From:
Media Librarian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 1993 16:17:18 -0500
I go along with Melissa's comments -- silent films all too often get
unfairly knocked as being primitive and unsophisticated.  Anyone
who thinks that silent filmmakers weren't incredibly sophisticated
at telling a story visually need only look at _Greed_, _The Wind_,
_The Last Laugh_, _Metropolis_, _Sunrise_, or many other examples
to see how few new "developments" there have been since Al Jolson
first warbled for us.

And since we're on the topic, what was the name of the silent film
made a few years ago (in beautiful black and white) about an
African-American man and the abandoned child he finds in New York?
I think the filmmaker (and lead actor) was named something like
Charles Lane?

Jay Rozgonyi
Media Librarian
Fairfield University