SCREEN-L Archives

November 1993

From:
Dale Carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 1993 15:24:06 MET
>I have been interested in logging references to Citizen Kane in
>films or other productions. . .  Whether you wish to call this
>intertextuality, allusions, or whatever, I welcome any other such
>instances that people may have seen in films after 1941.
>
>Bert Deivert  Univ. of Karlstad, Sweden

One minor allusion comes in Mike Nichols' The Graduate (1967). When,
towards the beginning of the movie, Benjamin Braddock sits listening
to Mr. Robinson's reflections on his future at the Robinson house, he
holds his (unwanted) glass of scotch at the bottom, screen left, in a
manner highly reminiscent of the attempted suicide scene in Citizen
Kane. A minor allusion, perhaps, if it is one at all; but fun for the
Graduate cast and crew.

Dale Carter
Assoc. Prof in American Studies
University of Arhus, Denmark