SCREEN-L Archives

October 1993

Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 1993 12:27:21 EDT
The distinction between tinting and full color is not lost on me.  Tinting
is a very old technique practiced from the very earliest films.

It is also not lost on me that Eastman color stock has different fading
characteristics than Technicolor. What is missing from Joey Schwartz's
comphrensive answer is that Technicolor did have its own fading
characteristics. Even though black and white separations are relatively
stable, the prints made from the separations are subject to color fading
effect of bright projection lamps each time the film is shown. Forty-five
years later any color print -- Technicolor, Kodacolor, or whatever -- will
display the fading.

What happens in colorization or transfer of films to videotape is another
story, one that Joey has sketched accurately.

Cal Pryluck, Radio-Television-Film, Temple University, Philadelphia
<[log in to unmask]> <PRYLUCK@TEMPLEVM>