SCREEN-L Archives

October 1993

From:
Jim Holler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 1993 13:30:00 EDT
But just to reiterate, any new prints will be as good as the original until
they deteriorate with time and exposure to bright projection lamps.

On Wed, 27 Oct 1993 12:27:21 EDT Cal said:
>The distinction between tinting and full color is not lost on me.  Tinting
>is a very old technique practiced from the very earliest films.
>
>It is also not lost on me that Eastman color stock has different fading
>characteristics than Technicolor.  What is missing from Joey Schwartz's
>comphrensive answer is that Technicolor did have its own fading
>characteristics.  Even though black and white separations are relatively
>stable, the prints made from the separations are subject to color fading
>effect of bright projection lamps each time the film is shown.  Forty-five
>years later any color print -- Technicolor, Kodacolor, or whatever -- will
>display the fading.
>
>What happens in colorization or transfer of films to videotape is another
>story, one that Joey has sketched accurately.

>Cal Pryluck, Radio-Television-Film, Temple University, Philadelphia
><[log in to unmask]>  <PRYLUCK@TEMPLEVM>

Jim Holler                             Phone: 606-257-5884
Department of Chemistry                FAX: 606-258-1069
University of Kentucky                 Email: [log in to unmask]
Lexington, KY  40506