SCREEN-L Archives

July 1993

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 1993 15:16:15 CDT
On Thu, 22 Jul 1993 09:43:13 PDT Donald J. Devich said:
>Another important point is that a film formerly in the public domain can be
>removed from it, if certain conditions are met--so at any given moment one
>can't be completely sure about a picture's status without investing in legal
>research. Example: Republic Home Video recently purchased the rights to the
>story and music used in IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE--and now claims legal ownership
>of this once-PD film. --Don

 Very interesting, Don. I wonder how far Republic is going to get in
 restricting use of WONDERFUL LIFE. It reminds me of when Raymond Rohauer
 tried to finagle control of BIRTH OF A NATION. As I recall, he didn't
 get very far.

 Copyright law! What a mess!

 The worse thing about it is that it protects authors, directors, et al.
 much less than it does publishing houses and film studios. But then, we've
 gone down this road before on SCREEN-L...

          There are times when you have to choose between being human
          and having good taste. --Bertolt Brecht--

| Jeremy G. Butler - - - - - - - - - - | Internet : [log in to unmask] |
| SCREEN-L Coordinator | BITNET : JBUTLER@UA1VM |
| |
| Telecommunication & Film Dept * The University of Alabama * Tuscaloosa |