SCREEN-L Archives

May 1993

Sender:
From:
Merlin Mann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 May 1993 22:57:49 EDT
I did an undergrad thesis on TV (Soloflex infomercial, Cosby Show, Wonder
Years) and would be relieved to know it could be of some use at least
as a biblography resource.
If you're interested in details, lemme know.  The short version:

"Boxed In: The Culture of TV," by Mark Crispin Miller (excellent!)
"Watching Television," ed. by Todd Gitlin
"Seeing through Movies," ed. by Mark Crispin Miller
"Channels of Discourse," ed. by Robert Allen
"Visible Fictions," by John Ellis
"No Sense of Place" by Josh Meyerowitz
"Television: The Critical View," ed. by Horace Newcomb

Two caveats: many of these these reflect a particular spin on the hegemony and
ideology thing, but the writing by Gitlin and Miller is so good it deserves
a read, even in a general class. If that kind of thig appeals to you,
check out Gramsci and Althusser.

Second, I did the thesis in 1990, so I'm a little behind the curve.

*Please* (anybody) mail me if this kind of thing is of interest.

Good luck with yer class!  ;-)