SCREEN-L Archives

March 1993

Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 1993 10:15:25 -0500
All this talk about Natalie Wood has made me want to ask a nagging
question:  Is Rebel Without a Cause really that good.  I saw the
James Dean mini-doc on A&E last weekend and found it really interesting.
But I remember going to see Rebel for the first time five years ago,
and I came away feeling disappointed.  I can see the claim of the
documentary that never before Rebel had teenagers been portrayed so
wild (to be translated: accurately, honestly or openly??) by hollywood.
But it didn't have any soul-gripping universal message, at least as far
as I could see.  Would Rebel be as great had Dean not died so tragically?
I'll admit that the film has grown on me, but I wonder if this is simply
the result of social conditioning.  Society sez, "ooooh, Rebel . . .it's
great . . .", and eventually I just agree.
                        For whatever it's worth,
                        Buck