SCREEN-L Archives

March 1993

Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 1993 16:18:14 -0500
Well, now that I've read about 100,000 more words on the net about
objectivity vs. subjectivity -- as if the concepts were complex and
deserved endless discussion -- may I add merely this: I suspect a lot
of people would like to proclaim that everything is subjective, rather
than to deal with the fact that everything is SOME DEGREE of subjectivity,
because they really WANT TO BE SUBJECTIVE and they're trying to justify
it by proclaiming all things flat subjective. ---- I have taught some
journalism classes over the years and what I find is that students want
to be very subjective in everything they write. I'm not sure why this is
the case but I suspect it's because they have very high regards for
themselves. They would feel very comfortable with this sentence: After
the game, the quarterback looked very depressed. They could have just as
easily written this, because the facts would allow it: After the game,
the quarterback said he was really depressed. In other words, they (student
journalists) want to pass judgement on the quarterback when they could just
as easily REPORT. Ernie.