SCREEN-L Archives

March 1993

Date:
Sat, 20 Mar 1993 08:30:39 -0600
I've been following the romanticized portrayal of Jesse as he moves into
full blown AIDS on ABC's Life goes On.  Two questions  (one remark, one
question ) for Screen-L folks:
Has anyone else noticed the romanticized, fairy-tale  representation of
Jesse's disease.  He decides to leave the hospital, everyone supports him
and helps him switch from AZT to a macrobiotic diet.  he gets better.  And
let's not forget that this is an 18 year old guy who contract HIV at age 16
during his first sexual encounter.  He is in love with Becca, the shows
young heroine, and she with he.  It is a pure love, sensual but without
sex.  Yes, they struggle over this but ultimately their virtue beates their
libido, helped by the disease.
Is AIDS being misused to promote virtuous love among teenagers.?? Are real
people suffering from AIDS and living with HIV and AIDS being mistreated by
this fairytale??  I applaud the sho for representing Jesse living,
accepted, in a community such as Glenview, IL with HIV for 2 years but I
can't help wondering.

And as I wonder, I have noticed that Life Goes On has been replaced in its
time slot by America's Funiest Home Videos.  Doe any one know if Life Goes
on Has been  discontinued?  Has it been moved to another time slot?  The
advertising promised four episodes of Jesse with full-blown AIDS,  I've
only seen three and I'm wondering what happened....

Ironically, after the last episode that aired, ABC premiered its new
magazine, DAY ONE, which had a story about a hospital patient who attacked
a nurse with a syringe of his HIV infected blood.  AIDS as a deadly weapon
back to back with AIDS: The Love Story.  Mere coincidence?? I think not.

Ilene Goldman
Northwestern