SCREEN-L Archives

March 1993

From:
Gregory Mark Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Mar 1993 16:08:00 CST
Hi--some references that may or may not be helpful in your quest.
An article by David Krauss, "Here Comes the Bride," in MODERN BRIDE
(magazine), Feb/Mar 1991, pp 32-63, which traces wedding representations
in the cinema. Some others he mentions are SOUND OF MUSIC, PHILA STORY,
BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES, FATHER OF BRIDE, GODFATHER, DEER HUNTER, COUSINS.

Rick Altman discusses marriage/weddings in Hollywood musicals in
THE AMERICAN FILM MUSICAL (1987, Indiana), pp 261-263.

If you're at all interested in TV weddings, popular literature on soap
opera weddings includes fanzines' special wedding issues as well as regular
issues. Also, Lauren Rabinowitz of Univ of Iowa has done some unpublished work
on this. I have a paper I researched on representations of weddings in
20th century popular magazines (especially women's magazines) if you'd like a
copy (608-256-1824). Good luck.

Pam Wilson, Univ. of Wisconsin