SCREEN-L Archives

February 1993

Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 1993 20:32:24 -0500
I think that, when it comes to any portrayal of the oppressed by a
"renegade" member of the oppressing society, there is always the
question of who is exploiting whom.  The commentaries of the homeless
indicate that they were taking advantage of the publicity for all it was
worth, just as much as the filmmakers here taking advantage of the focus
upon their heroism of the moment.  I am sorry if that seems too cynical.
Also, while the filmmed oppressed may eventually return to anonymity, so
will the filmmakers.  It seems that the two must work together, be
champions of each other, in order to maintain public attention.

Carol Robinson
Gallaudet University