SCREEN-L Archives

February 1993

Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 1993 11:07:05 -0500
As people educated in the field of communications, I hope we realize that
objectivity is a farce.  It is impossible to present something without some
degree of bias.  Simply the fact that a particular subject is being presented
is, itself, a form of bias.  I think the problem lies in the fact that we,
as the scholars, are the few who understand this.  It's time those who are
presenting the material stop pretending to be objective.  Let teh general
public know that each message is tainted to a degree by those who present it.
Wake the public up to the implications of what we read, hear, see (or don't
read, hear or see) based on who is controlling the release of teh information.
We don't have to go so far as to call it subjective reporting, but lets at
least stop pretending it's objective.
           Billy Hooper         Media Studies, Ithaca College
                      WHOOPER1@Ithaca