SCREEN-L Archives

February 1993

From:
Mark Ritchie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 1993 15:58:52 EST
On Fri, 12 Feb 1993 14:11:48 EST Bob Kosovsky said:
>On Thu, 11 Feb 1993 23:00:48 EST Cal Pryluck <[log in to unmask]> said:
>>>I'm curious: why is a complelete filmography of Zazu Pitts needed?
>
>To which Mark Ritchie <[log in to unmask]> answered:
>>We are updating the biographic index to our Media catalogue and have
>>reached ZaSu Pitts on our list of notable personalities. She appeared
>>in numerous important films (Greed, All Quiet On The Western Front, etc.)
>
>Hm. I had read about the two versions of ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT,
>one for (generally) American distribution - the one we are familiar with
>today, and a silent version (for European distribution) which is the version
>that had Zasu Pitts. Has anybody seen this silent version and can you
>compare it to the sound version? Thanks also to Mark for the union list
>address.

Sorry for the posting without a comment, fat-finger syndrome.

In the Silent version ZaSu Pitts played Frau Baumer, in the sound
version ZaSu was cut and Beryl Mercer played Frau Baumer.

Mark Ritchie | Tel: (519) 888-4070
Media Librarian | Fax: (519) 888-6197
Audio-Visual Centre |
University of Waterloo | Internet: [log in to unmask]

--------