SCREEN-L Archives

January 1993

From:
Jeff Rush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jan 1993 09:43:57 -0500
Theory and Practice - UFVA - An Invitation

The UFVA (University Film and Video Assoc.) conference this
year will look at Theory and Practice.

This issue has come up in a number of UFVA conferences and
usually elicits superficial agreement -- there should be a
relationship between theory and practice, and we have some idea
of what it is.

However, the relationship has become infinitely more complex and
ephemeral, and I, for one, am fast losing confidence in my
understanding of it. As film theory has broadened into the
larger questions of mass media reception and relationship of
media to society, it has become increasingly questionable
whether, and how, it speaks to practice at all.

I would like to see this question engaged at the UFVA conference
in August. Therefore, I invite those members of this list who
find it an open issue to consider working with me and others to
put together a panel that would seriously question the
traditional articulations of the relationship between theory and
practice. The goal of the panel would both be to speak to the
fissures in the current notions of theory and practice, and to
speculate on new ways to formulate this relationship.

I would particularly encourage those members of this list who
have not traditionally been involved with UFVA to contribute to
this panel. One issue that needs to be raised is how
institutional cultures contribute to, and profit by, differing
articulations of theory and practice.

Jeff Rush
1993 UFVA Conference Director
jsk.picasso.ocis.temple.edu