SCREEN-L Archives

January 1993

Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 1993 11:25:03 EST

> > It's not the sport of football that encourages the
> >violence, it's the concept of fan identification with one team or another
> >(and also the money involved in gambling). If Team A wins, fans of Team B
> >beat their wives/girlfriends/etc.
> >
> >M o R
>
> Really? Is there a study that boacks up this claim? I'm curious.
> --Gayle Gleason

Well, there are a number of studies that discuss fan identification and
violence. Certainly it's not football per se; soccer is much less violent,
yet inspires public displays of brutality.

without any direct citations, my recollection of the reading is that alcohol
+ your team losing = violence.

M o R