SCREEN-L Archives

December 1992

Date:
Sun, 6 Dec 1992 16:53:53 -0500
My favorite film about filmmaking is Wim Wender's THE STATE OF THINGS (bleak
as it is...)  Its cynical view of Hollywood confirms my reasons for being an
independent documentary-maker.  Oh-and let's not forget Dzigha Vertov's
MAN WITH A MOVIE CAMERA (speaking of documentary, sort of) and in the
independent film world, there's a wonderful feature by Tony Buba called
LIGHTNING OVER BRADDOCK (distributed by Zeitgeist).  It's about an socially-
conscious documentary filmmaker (played by Tony) who is tempted to "go
Hollywood."  He's also haunted by a semi-derranged former subject played by
one of Tony's semi-deranged former documentary subjects.  This film includes
parodies of The Godfather, Rambo, MTV and Ghandi and also manages to make
a significant statement about life in the Rust Bowl outside Pittsburgh.  And
in the experimental realm there's Bruce Conner's A MOVIE.  Gee, I think I've
said enough for my first message on SCREEN-L... Hope this was useful for
Henry Breitrose or others.

Carol Beck, Keene State College