SCREEN-L Archives

December 1992

Date:
Tue, 22 Dec 1992 10:17:00 -0500
David Gasior,

I don't remember reading your original request, but quite a while back we
had a discussion on printed reference sources for PD films. There is a very
expensive and often difficult-to-use source that other members of Screen-L
have familiarity with--and whose title I can't remember at the moment for
the life of me. Someone else on the list could probably respond on that
one.

I'd also mentioned that I was ordering a new title I got a flyer on, and
would eventually report on it. Here's some preliminary information on it.

Pierce, David. _Motion Picture Copyrights and Renewals, 1950-1959. Milestone,
PO Box 2748, Laurel, MD 20708. ISBN 0-927347-02-4. $89.00 + $5.00 UPS shipp.

As indicated by the title, this work covers primarily films from the fifties,
with a handful of earlier films. The bulk of it is actually the LC Copyright
Office's _Catalog of Copyright Entries: Motion Pictures, 1950-1959. To this
catalog Pierce has added:
1. Inked in entries next to each relevant title, for titles that have been
renewed. The entries give the renewal number and the renewer by abbreviation
(with a list of abbrev's included).
2. An appendix with additional 1950s films and television series that did
_not_ make it into the LC volume originally. These entries are in typed format.
   3. Some introductory matter describing scope and the complexities of the
copyright process that qualify Pierce's effort at this sort of reference work.

Some of the qualifications/caveats here:

1. The LC publication that's the bulk here covers all sorts of films--from
features to educational shorts to TV series and performing arts programs.
Pierce's appendix--which adds the titles not caught by the original volume--
is more selective. He has apparently tried to cover features comprehensively,
but shorts have been limited to those of "greater than average interest." This
is due largely to how renewals are filed in the performing arts area--i.e.,
along with new works--which would've required a massive manual search of files.
As expected, he notes that he could've missed a few features as well... a
caveat that would apply to pretty much anyone's work.

2. Pierce also warns that because he has not found a film to have been renewed,
this doesn't mean that related rights in a photoplay, to music in the film, etc
--areas he did not search out--have not. If they have, this may of course
complicate PD usage of a title.

Nonetheless, these are compromises that only a researcher/compiler committed to
an infinite amount of effort could overcome. As the work stands, it _is_ easy
enough to use. Pierce's inked entries are all perfectly legible, and there are
only three alphabetical listings you have to go to in order to find a title
(the LC listings, and his two appendices for additional titles of films and
TV series). The LC work itself has indexes for series titles and for "persons
and organizations associated with the motion pictures" in its listings.

Anyone who'd like more information--or simply something clarified that I've
overlooked--just let me know.

Otherwise... happy holidays to all!

Jeff Clark
James Madison Univ.