SCREEN-L Archives

December 1992

Date:
Wed, 2 Dec 1992 12:31:16 -0400
What is usual here is that a separate screening, in addition to normal class
meeting times, is built into the class-schedule, often like a "lab" time
for a science course. This is treated roughly as homework/required "reading".
Usually a second screening is arranged and students encouraged to see the
film again, required to do so for a paper (videos often get substituted here).
This seems necessary for any use of feature length films and for a normal
full credit course.

Often, however, short films, or scenes, etc., can be show in class and then
discussed, and sometimes even repeated. For my own film course, which
concerns itself very much with how to see/look at films (of several types)
and with film structure and aesthetics that go beyond narrative, I have had
to expand weekly class meeting times to 3 75-minute periods (+ outside
feature length screenings). Admittedly, I'm obsessive about this, but
showing clips and talking about film chews up an awful lot of time, and I
want to both hear what students have to say and how they explore this
material as well as develop ideas of my own. But everyone else gets by
ok with 2 75-minute classes + outside screenings.

                        Jesse Kalin Vassar