SCREEN-L Archives

December 1992

From:
Steve Carr <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 5 Dec 1992 09:08:35 CST
FRIDAY NIGHT VIDEOS: Subversion of Democracy: "Covert Action"

Note 29 MEDIA SECTION: COVERUP VIDEO
[log in to unmask] 6:12 pm Jun 7, 1991

ACTION: `COVERUP' AVAILABLE FOR PUBLIC TELEVISION STATIONS!

The Empowerment Project's award-winning documentary ``Coverup:
Behind the Iran-Contra Affair'' is being offered by the Central
Educational Network to PBS stations nationwide. Directed by
Barbara Trent, this carefully-researched film tells the
compelling story of:

* the first arms sale to Iran in 1980 and the Reagan/Bush
campaign's pre-election deal to delay the release of the 52
American hostages.

* the history of CIA involvement in drug running from the
Vietnam/heroin era to the Central American/cocaine epidemic.

* the ``shadow government'': assassins, arms dealers, drug
smugglers, former CIA operatives, and top military personnel.

* the bombing of the press conference in La Penca, Nicaragua, and
the Christic Institute's subsequent racketeering lawsuit.

Please tell your local public TV program managers that there is a
demand for public broadcasts of ``Coverup'' in your community.
Please fill out the coupon below to join in the campaign to air
Coverup on public television. With your help ``Coverup'' can
reach millions of Americans in their homes, contributing to a
changing perception of U.S. policies which is critical for a
redemocratization of our country.

Mail to: The Empowerment Project, 1653 18th Street, Suite 3,
Santa Monica, California 90404, or phone (213) 828-8807

Please send me more information about pressuring my local public
television station to air the Empowerment Project's ``Coverup:
Behind the Iran-Contra Affair''.

Name

Address

------------------------------------------------ ----------------
City, State/Province, Zip/Postal Code Phone

Andrew Lang 151251507 CHRISTIC telex
Christic Institute christic PeaceNet
Washington, D.C. tcn tcn449
202-797-8106 voice uunet!pyramid!cdp!christic UUCP
202-529-0140 BBS cdp!christic%labrea@stanford Bitnet
202-462-5138 fax [log in to unmask] Internet

BACKGROUND FILES ON THE OCTOBER SURPRISE:

  OCTOBER SURPRISE The real Irangate scandal ('80 elect. subverted!)
(this first file somewhat outdated)

  VERDICT TREASON Ex-CIA agent's acquittal is Bush's indictment '90
(Must Reading)

  WHEREWAS GEORGE On Oct. 19, 1980? ITT article on October Surprise
(Self Explanatory title)
  BEN MENASHE revealing int'vw w/Israeli agent (Oct. Surprise)

  SURPRISE PROBES91 Update on Congress'l & indep. legal opts & probes
(Good update)

  SURPRISE Z-JUNE91 Oct. Surprise intro,& latest as of 6/91(Z mag'zn)
(Good overview)

Available from ACTIV-L/misc.activism.progressive(MAP)'s
Automatic Archiver:

    ======================================
    To get a file named FILE NAME from the
    archiver (files are two words separa-
    ted by a space), send the 1-line message

    GET FILE NAME ACTIV-L

    to: [log in to unmask]
    [or: [log in to unmask]]
    ======================================

    Use GET with the file ACTIV-L ARCHIVE for a listing of
    files available with the GET command.

e.g., send GET ACTIV-L ARCHIVE ACTIV-L to [log in to unmask] to be
emailed the index of archived files.

Note 48 RESOURCE: OCTOBER SURPRISE VIDEO
[log in to unmask] 10:35 am Aug 6, 1991

CHRISTIC RESOURCES: OCTOBER SURPRISE VIDEO AND INFORMATION PACKET

Christic Institute, Tuesday, August 6, 1991

Did the Reagan-Bush campaign negotiate with the Iranians to
prevent the release of American Embassy hostages to undercut
Jimmy Carter in the 1980 election? A new 57-minute video--
``Playing Politics with American Lives''--presents highlights of
the mid-June 1991 Congressional symposium featuring former
hostages, political analysts and investigative journalists.
Convened by the Fund for New Priorities in America, panelists
responded to the following questions:

>>> What evidence confirms that Reagan campaign officials met
    with representatives of the Ayatollah Khomeini?

>>> What role, if any, did George Bush play in the negotiations?

>>> What further evidence might Congress uncover with subpoena
    power?

This video is an important resource for activists who want to
understand the issues Congressional committees will consider in
their investigation. You can also order an October Surprise
``House Party Packet'' which will help you organize action-
oriented house meetings on the issue. Each packet includes
camera-ready invitations and practical action suggestions.
Finally, our October Surprise Information Packets include a
selection of the best news stories, investigative reports and
transcripts on the controversy. Please use the order form posted
at the end of this message.

Here are a few excerpts:

Gary Sick, former Carter National Security Council aide: ``There
really is no doubt at all in my mind that there were meetings
between the Republican campaign and the Iranians in the course of
the 1980 elections to discuss the question of the hostages.''

Christopher Hitchens, The Nation magazine: ``. . . American
democracy wasn't the only loser in this affair. . . . By dealing
directly with the hostage takers and the people around Khomeini,
in effect, a great blow was dealt at the one chance at
representative government in Iran as well.''

Harvey Wasserman, historian: ``We're talking about treason here
. . . . There is really nothing of that magnitude in the history
of this country.''

Marcus Raskin, Institute for Policy Studies: ``. . . [E]lections
over the course of a 40-year period have been fixed by the U.S.
abroad; those people who undertake to do that abroad have no
problems doing that at home.''

Daniel Sheehan, Christic Institute: ``This was a power strike
against the entire concept of democratic government in the United
States by elements of the National Security State.''

Please send me:

[ ] _____ copy (copies) of the Congressional colloquy video at
$25 each.

[ ] _____ copy (copies) of the October Surprise House Party
organizing kit at $3 each.

[ ] _____ copy (copies) of the October Surprise Information
Packet at $12.50 each.

[ ] _____ information on how I can subscribe to the Institute's
magazines and research reports.

(Please add 10% for shipping and handling; [Check or credit card])
Include name, address, phone number and mail to: Christic Institute
Resource Center, 1324 North Capitol Street, N.W., Washington, D.C.
20002

[Telecom1SUR]
Andrew Lang 151251507 CHRISTIC telex
Christic Institute christic PeaceNet
202-797-8106 voice [log in to unmask] Internet
202-529-0140 BBS uunet!pyramid!cdp!christic UUCP
202-462-5138 fax cdp!christic%labrea@stanford Bitnet

Note 36 Moyer's Video, 3/27 Palo Alto
[log in to unmask] 6:06 pm Mar 21, 1991

        A SHOWING OF THE VIDEO "HIGH CRIMES & MISDEMEANORS"

The Bill Moyer's video, "High Crimes and Misdemeanors," will be
shown as part of our observance of Central America Week 1991.
The video offers a summary of the Iran-Contra scandal, and in
particular the roles played by Presidents Reagan and Bush. It
includes footage and information from the Oliver North and
John Poindexter trials of 1990, hence has much more information
to present than was available during the 1987 congressional
investigation into the matter. As the title suggests, information
revealed since 1987 might have led a more combative congressional
branch to consider impeachment. A video sure to be provocative.
A discussion with community members involved with the Christic
Institute will follow the showing.

When: Wednesday, March 27th, 1991, 7:30 p.m.
Where: Peninsula Peace Center, 555 Waverly at Hamilton in Palo Alto
Cost: Free

Sponsored by CAUSICA, the Committee Against U.S. Intervention
in Central America. For more information call: (415) 325-8083

Note 14 PHILIP AGEE VIDEO AVAILABLE
[log in to unmask] 10:16 pm Jun 11, 1991

        .....///....PHILIP AGEE SPEAKS OUT....\\\\.....

        If you missed Philip Agee's recent speaking tour
        you can still hear what he has to say. Speakout!
        has produced a 1 hour video, filmed during Agee's
        lecture at M.I.T. during April of this year. The
        topic of his lecture was:

      -=- THE GULF WAR, THE CIA, AND AMERICAN DEMOCRACY -=-

        The cost of the video is a $15.00 tax-deductable
        donation (or two tapes for $25) to the Philip Agee
        Defense Committee, a project of Speakout!

        To order a video, please send a check or money
        order payable to: Philip Agee Defense Committee
        P.O. Box 84087, San Diego, CA 92138.

Steve Carr [log in to unmask]
Dept. of Radio-TV-Film 512/471-4071
University of Texas at Austin fax: 512/471-4077
Austin TX 78712

Any similarity between my ideas and the University of Texas megacorp
would be an undesirable coincidence.