SCREEN-L Archives

November 1992

Date:
Mon, 9 Nov 1992 12:22:33 PST
John Kuiper noted the paucity of low-end 16mm film cameras in a recent
posting. We use 16mm Filmo's for beginning production classes. They have
several advantages for beginners: 100' spool capacity, hard lenses,
spring motors incapable of running much more than 20 second takes, as
well as durability. The hard lenses require students to give thought to
composition, the short takes help discourage television-style
"coverage". That having been noted, I should point out that we move them
along to Arri's and CP-16's in the following term, with the assumption
that they have learned some good habits.

The Filmo 70DR is currently available, new, from Alan Gordon in Los
Angeles for ca. $1865. They stock spare parts and repair the camera as
well. The students are sometimes amused that the cameras are virtually
the same as the original 1927 model.

-Henry Breitrose
 Stanford