SCREEN-L Archives

November 1992

Date:
Sun, 8 Nov 1992 12:41:33 -0500
I recently attended a meeting of film teachers with Eastman Kodak.
One of the topics of conversation was the increasing lack of low-end
16mm cameras for beginners and intermediate student filmmakers.
The old Filmo 70s are hard to find and pretty difficult to use but
hard to destroy. The Canon "Scoopics" are good but even harder to find.
None of these have satisfactory repair shops available.  In order to
mount a decent and diverse 16mm teaching program one is increasingly
forced to work with cameras that cost at least $10,000 each. These are
good ones but they can be damaged easily and expensive and time consuming
repairs follow. Often parts for even these cameras are not available!

We used to use Super-8 but were forced to give it up because of equip-
ment problems(lack of repair outlets) and the increasing difficulty of
finding good editing equipment.  (Not to mention adequate processing.)
Our solution was to move to camcorders used "like" film cameras.
Not a bad solution, but NOT film.

Now we are experiencing the same problems with 16mm!
Suggestions and comments welcomed===HELP!