SCREEN-L Archives

November 1992

From:
"Andrew B. Jones" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Nov 1992 10:12:00 EDT
Hello, all,

Several months ago, I heard a Terry Gross's radio program, "Fresh Air"
interview with the composer for the Peter Greenaway film, _The grifters._  I
think that it was Elmer Bernstein.

Greenaway liked the music that was composed, but wasn't happy with the cut that
Bernstein had used when scoring the film.  After recutting the film, and
re-synching the music, Greenaway asked Bernstein if it would be okay with him
to keep the music in this new synch.

Elmer Bernstein's answer in the interview was very surprising, if I'm
remembering it correctly -- he said that the music worked better, was more
effective, in the new cut.

Can anyone out there corroborate my recollections?

Best,

Andrew Jones