SCREEN-L Archives

October 1992

Date:
Wed, 14 Oct 1992 16:13:00 EST
One of the problems that arises in defining working-class sitcoms, of
course, is how do we define "working-class"?  Is it a specific type of
work (ie, heavy labor and service) or a certain income level (say, under
30k a year)?  I've looked through the listings for the new TV season
and talked to people about shows i don't know, and this a brief list
i've come up with, broken down into three categories:  (1) action focuses
on working-class setting (ie, smaller rooms, somewhat minimal decor); (2)
one of the recurring characters holds a working-class job (one that most
likely doesn't pay all that much); (3) action focuses on working-class
job-area.  (Of course, this is largely subjective).

MAJOR DAD (2)
DAVIS RULES (2)
EVENING SHADE (2)
DINOSAURS (1,1)--[my own little pitch--i'm sure it could be argued this
                  isn't working-class]
FAMILY MATTERS (2)
RHYTHM AND BLUES (2,3)
MARTIN (1,2,3)
HERE AND NOW (2,3)
NEW WKRP IN CINCINNATTI (2,3)
NORTHERN EXPOSURE (1,2,3) [a hybrid drama-sitcom]
GOING TO EXTREMES (1,2,3) [ditto]
WHOOPS! (1,2)
DELTA (1,2,3)
ROC (1,2)
MARRIED WITH CHILDREN (1,2)
CAMP WILDER (2)
NURSES (2,3)
WINGS (2,3)
CHEERS (2,3)
WONDER YEARS (1,2)

Another way of chopping this up is what the target-audience is; ie, even
though WONDER YEARS cocentrates on a working-class family, I'm sure the
audience is much more professional class.  Two final observations (I'll
leave the Cultural Analysis open):  there's obviously a number of shows
where characters have working-class jobs, but upper-income homes--there
seems to be no correlation between income and living situation; second,
it seems to me that, compared with other types of sitcom-definition, there
is a large perponderence of Black sitcoms in this list....?