SCREEN-L Archives

October 1992

Date:
Fri, 9 Oct 1992 15:53:36 EDT
Henry:
I saw bits and pieces of the series, and in my opinion, it was rather dull.
A whole series built around normal people doing normal things.  Sure, it
was the real world, but it was the real dull world.  A lot of the scenes
seemed to be staged and IMHO were probably concocted prior to the camaras
being on.  There was really no "plot".  Each week they would focus on a dif-
ferent character, i.e. what problems they were having, what they had for
dinner, who they went out with, etc.  It was rather boring.  Being an actor
myself, I am trying to figure out what America's sudden fascination with real
people and real things is all about.  To me, it just seems to be something
different.  Up to now, most(if not all) TV shows were based on obscure and
inconceivable ideas that we would say, "Gee, that makes no sense!"  But the
shows would be entertaining.  Ironically enough, the real ideas and the real
plots are the things that don't seem to be entertaining.  As people we are
all dreamers, and we all fantasize about what it would be like to be Rambo,
or Julia Roberts in "Pretty Woman".  That is the reason we are entertained
by unrealistic ideas.  MTV had a good idea...something different.  I was a
bit excited by it myself.  Unfortunately, I found it to be incredibly un-
entertaining and a huge waste of time.

                                               Dan