Re: a fan's POV

Sandra Ballasch <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 5 Oct 1992 10:33:00 CDT

I missed the earlier comments that Henry commented on, but going
on his comments here, I can say that in Blake's Seven fandom, both
written zines and conventions, the actor is almost one with the
chacracter for many people.  At times the fandom has split and broken
down because of the perceived offenses of an actor or actress.  This
has usually been in conjunction with the slash wing of the fandom, but
not completely.  This is particularly true in regards to the actor
Paul Darrow and his character Kerr Avon.  Because Mr. Darrow and his
wife (who is an actress and was in the last episode of the series) have
been very accomodating and welcoming to the fans of the series they have
been the people most affected by this strain in the fandom.  There is a
branch of the fandom that seem to be unable to understand that when they
write a story in which Mr. Darrow's character is doing something that is
offensive to him (and I might add -a personal opinion- totally out of
character for the character) and he finds out about it -he- is offended.

I have no problem with people writing this stuff (you can tell from
my attitude that I don't read or collect slash personally) but it is
silly to scream censorship or worse if the people you are portraying
that way refuse to have anything to do with your projects.  This may
happen in other fandoms, but I haven't seen anything like it anywhere
else, and it seems to me to come out of the intense identification
that both fans and actors on this series have with the characters in it.