SCREEN-L Archives

October 1992

From:
Gorham A Kindem <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Oct 1992 18:08:00 EDT
(continuation, sorry, but I forgot to scroll) who focus upon
questions of epistemology and the truth carrying capacity of
the text, or psychoanalysts who focus either upon the
supposed intentions of the filmmaker or the hidden meanings
of the text/dream either for the artist (Freud) or the
spectator (Lacan). What the soap opera and the soapumentary
obviously share is an emotional oversaturation that intrigues
some people and makes others uncomfortable, but where they
differ, it seems to me, is that one involves a willing
suspension of disbelief (although I'm willing to admit that
some, perhaps many, soap opera viewers frequently confuse or
combine fiction and "real life") and the other involves a
strong belief in the actual existence of the people who
appear in the soapumentary, until proven otherwise. Perhaps
its just a matter of direction, one starts out with disbelief
and moves towards a suspension of that disbelief, and the
other starts out with belief and sometimes moves towards
disbelief. Hap Kindem.