SCREEN-L Archives

October 1992

Date:
Fri, 9 Oct 1992 13:38:17 EDT
A recent experiment along similar lines was MTV's series this summer, "The Real
World" (I think). They did casting calls and pulled together a group of
attractive, multi-racial, multi-gender, multi-sexual young folks, gave them
an expensive loft apartment in Manhattan to share, and filmed their
 interactions. I didn't see the series, but I am told that it was hard to
 determine what
was documentary, what was staged, etc. The whole situation was of course
contrived, but theoretically, the young adults were not told what to do, so
the "plot" unfolded in an improvizational and unscripted fashion.
Did anyone see this thing?
--Henry