SCREEN-L Archives

October 1992

From:
"(Lezlie Shell)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Oct 1992 16:37:27 CDT
While Andy's status as a working-class character could be challenged, there
were enough working class characters to justify including the show in your
survey. Also, its depiction of rural characters while played for
laughs (Darlene and her brothers, Ernest T. Bass) is rare in sitcoms

Also, some of the music showcased in the earlier b&w years is really
very authentic and very enjoyable.

Just to clarify, I was being facetious when I mentioned 90210 in relation
to Fresh Prince. The family in Fresh Prince lives in Bel Air or Beveryly
Hills which should automatically exclude them from being considered
working class.

You might want to consider Blossom. The father is a professional musician
who scrapes along with varying degrees of success. There have been several
episodes where he is quite concerned with money.