SCREEN-L Archives

October 1992

Date:
Sat, 17 Oct 1992 10:43:13 EST
I would like to take issue with comments on O'Rourke's film - Good
Woman of Bangkok. I was in Australia last November for a large gathering
of documentary filmmakers, critics,theorists, etc..O'Rourke was a
panelist for one of the sessions and a crowd of about five hundred
people came to listen to him. He presented a short but well formulated
   paper about the documentary film and the frustrations which he
felt with the genre. He said that he really was trying to push at the
limits of autobiography-which he described as a sophisticated fictional
form-and he couldn't understand why critics of the film hadn't noticed
the changes which he, as videomaker and filmmaker, underwent as the
film progressed. I believe that the film is a self-conscious explora-
tion of male consciousness, precisely exploring the boundaries of male
fantasy even as the filmmaker falls prey to that which he is critiquing.
The film explores voyeurism and lays it bare and in so doing it pushes
at the limits of the image, asking questions about truth and concluding
that the image can never overcome the constraints of fiction which I
don't believe should be confused with illusion.Moreto come.ron burnett