SCREEN-L Archives

October 1992

From:
Mark POINDEXTER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Oct 1992 17:17:11 EDT
Thanks. For the time being I am working with a list of shows now on the air in
prime time, but I'd welcome suggestions of past shows because I may decide to
do my own study in the future and then would probably include past shows too.
I don't consider THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW to be a working class sitcom, but there
are a couple of episodes that stand out where Andy is protrayed as more working
class in the problems he faces than in others. One involves trying to raise
money so his son can go to college (emphasis is placed on how little Andy
earns) and another has to do with a visit to a country club.  If these episodes
were typical of the series, I would consider it a working class sitcom. I don't
think they are, however. What do you think?