SCREEN-L Archives

September 1992

Date:
Thu, 17 Sep 1992 10:41:34 EDT
Bob Kosovsky is correct in that monetary reasons are the force
behind colorization.  It has nothing to do with art.  Younger
viewers will flip past a channel in black and white.  They
require color to hold their attention.  Black and white is
perceived as old and boring.

My 15 year old niece even reinforced this for me.  We had a
long discussion about it and she too refuses to watch black and
white.  She's rather have MTV.  Funny that black and white is
OK in a music video.  She even likes old films but won't watch
a b&w?  Go figure.
--
Rick E. Provine
Media Librarian