SCREEN-L Archives

August 1992

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Aug 1992 15:19:46 CDT
On Sat, 15 Aug 1992 12:27:57 PDT <[log in to unmask]> said:

>applicants visit us, we insist that they talk with current students. In
>addition to the financial investment, there is the rather more serious
>investment of time, and applicants need to be absolutely sure that there
>is a very good fit between their needs and the capabilities of the
>graduate program.

Yes. And one of the most common miscommunications between students and
film/TV schools faculty/administrators is the amount of practical,
hands-on experience students will get in filmmaking/video production.

I mention this because it is an on-going problem here at Alabama. We
are a small program that offers a degree in film >study<. To the faculty
"film study" means a rather general approach to film that balances
history/criticism/theory with filmmaking--with the emphasis on the
former. We try to communicate this to students through our program
descriptions and the advising process. Sometimes (more often than I'd
like) we fail at this communication and students come expecting
a degree (say, a BFA) in film >making<.

This we (and I'd wager 70-80% of schools with film courses) cannot afford
to offer.

Consequently, some students wind up angry that they haven't learned more
about film production here and aren't prepared to immediately jump into
a job in filmmaking.

We aren't likely to expand our filmmaking resources in the near future
(is any university >expanding< anything these days?). So I fear this
problem is going to continue.

Does anyone have any suggestions for improving the way that program
information is disseminated?

----------
          If no one seems to understand
          Start your own revolution, cut out the middleman
          In a perfect world we'd all sing in tune
          But this is reality so give me some room
          So join the struggle while you may
          The Revolution is just a t-shirt away
          Waiting for the Great Leap Forwards
                                  --Billy Bragg

| Jeremy G. Butler - - - - - - - - - - | Internet : [log in to unmask] |
| SCREEN-L Coordinator | BITNET : JBUTLER@UA1VM |
| |
| Telecommunication & Film Dept * The University of Alabama * Tuscaloosa |