SCREEN-L Archives

July 1992

Date:
Wed, 29 Jul 1992 17:07:22 EDT
At the SCS meeting last Spring in Pittsburgh, Kristin Thompson announced that
there would be an official statement from SCS in a forthcoming issue of
CINEMA JOURNAL about the use of frame enlargements. She and her committee
consulted with the lawyers from the Library of Congress and got an official
statement that frame enlargements can be legally reproduced without permission
from the original copyright holder. This statement from the Library of
Congress will also be reproduced in CJ. She said that there has to date been
no attempts to prosecute scholars for their use of unauthorized frame
 enlargements. There have been many cases of scalping scholars, price-wise, who
 sought
permission through proper channels. I have had similar reports on the use of
telapics (ie. photographs of video images). I have used both in my forthcoming
books without getting permission so I suppose I will find out the hard way
if this advice is wrong.
   I have some detailed tips on shooting frame enlargements given to me by
a fan artist who produces amazing pictures. I don't have the time to punch
them into the system at this point but I will be glad to send a copy to
anyone who writes me with their surface mail address.
--Henry Jenkins
Ast. Prof., Film and Media Studies
MIT