SCREEN-L Archives

July 1992

Date:
Thu, 16 Jul 1992 20:14:36 -0500
I've had a hunch for quite a while that all those Biblical epics of the '50s
were in fact allegories for, amongst other things, the Holocaust and the
creation of the state of Israel. Patricia Erens does a little bit with this
in her book (_The Jew in American Cinema_), but I'd like to develop it a bit
further.

Does anyone have suggestions for titles that might lend themselves to this
sort of analysis? Has anyone seen any particularly good articles on the
topic? Can anyone recommend sequences from biblical films that would provide
particularly compelling analyses?

Feel free to contact me individually, or publicly, if you'd like to share with
the rest of the list.

Steve Carr
U of Texas--Austin