SCREEN-L Archives

June 1992

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jun 1992 10:09:47 CST
>Also yesterday I could not readily open my mail, necessitating
>    more-than-a-
>little hacking to get the mailbox open.  It does this when the memory is
>overloaded.

    Yes, folks, we do need to take care when sending stuff to SCREEN-L that
    is rilly rilly long--anything over, say, 150 lines (picking a number
    arbitrarily, but that would be about six screens worth of stuff on my
    computer).  Most of us have limited space on our colleges'
    mainframes/VAX's and an overloaded mailbox can jam things up.

    In fact, the listserver itself (the software which enables this whole
    process) cannot handle files above a certain length.  I haven't quite
    disentangled it all, but I think at least one of the TWIN PEAKS files
    was stopped at the listserver and was not distributed.

    So, in the future, why don't we just make a gentleman/woman's
    agreement not to post material longer than 150 lines.

>Didn't Jeremy arrange a FTP (or something) to make such files available to
>them's as wants 'em?

    Yes, indeedy!  And you don't even have to know or be able to use FTP
    (File Transfer Protocol).  SCREEN-L's FILELIST holds text files which
    may be retrieved through normal mail channels, using a simple set of
    commands.

    When I have a free moment I'll put some of that TWIN PEAKS material on
    SCREEN-L FILELIST, and send an announcement out about its availability.

    Jeremy Butler

    SCREEN-L Coordinator
    JBUTLER@UA1VM