SCREEN-L Archives

May 1992

From:
Kerr Avon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 May 1992 17:40:31 BST
From: Davin Risk <[log in to unmask]>

>Hoping that someone will have any info on a series that ran on BBC
>late 70's or early 80's ... called "Monkey". Believe that it is based
>on tranlations of Japanese folklore...
>
>If anyone has any recollections of the series and any ideas about its
>current existance (ie. on VHS or whether it has been re-shown on PBS, etc.)
>I would be grateful...

Well, Davin, I remember it being shown on BBC2. There was Monkey, Sandy
(a fish spirit), Pigsy (a pig spirit) and a priest called Tripitaka meant
to be male, but played by a female, I think).

They were on some kind of journey/pilgrimage. Monkey had been encased
in stone by buddha(?) for messing around. This was his chance of
redemption. He had a cloud that he would whistle for that he could
fly around on. He had a staff that he shrunk down and stored in his
ear. Oh, yes, and he could pull out his chest hair, blow on it and make
it do strange things... (I'm not making this up, people).

As to it's current existance, I dunno. I was surprised to see a new
comic a few weeks ago called _Magic Monkey_. It seemed to transplant
the characters into a futuristic scenario. The TV series was set in
feudal Japan. According to the comic (I think this is right -- I only
skimmed the comic briefly in the shop), the character's were created by
someone fairly recently. Doctor somebody.

Talk about a Misplaced Childhood...

Liam.
====-
                                   *"Remember that Captain Darling and
     KERR AVON | Work: ICL, * I are behind you."
 aka Liam Cairney |Reading, England*"About 35 _miles_ behind you, to
  All e-mail to:- | Home: Glasgow, * be precise..."
[log in to unmask] | Scotland * -- Melchett & Blackadder