SCREEN-L Archives

April 1992

Date:
Wed, 29 Apr 1992 07:40:00 EDT
DJ wrote:

> Can you post the citation for the Jenkins B&B article?  (Is this the same
> Jenkins who wrote the piece on ST fandom?)  And, Andrea, are you interested
> in QL parodies?  I've downloaded a couple from ST bulletin boards (you
> can tell what the crossover is, of course!)
>
> Do _either_ of you (or anyone else) have a current address for DATAZINE or
> another good source for info on fanzines?
>
> And, to whomever asked about a good work on media fandom, I've just started
> Camille Bacon-Smith's ENTERPRISING WOMEN:  TELEVISION FANDOM AND THE CREATION
> OF POPULAR MYTH (U of PA, 1992) and it appears to give background on media
> fandom and a good bibliography on related articles.        --DJ
> Bitnet:  DJOHNSON@WCU

        Andrea, please keep posting to the list!

        I would also like a current address for _Datazine_. Is it still
being published? DJ - have you tried Bill Hupe's list of fanzines?

        Andrea (I think) mentioned the tendency in cross-overs to use QL to
fix Catherine's death in B&B. Do a lot of zines focus on fixing problems
within their series? I ask because I've noticed that Blake's 7 zines seem
preoccupied with circumventing the deaths of Cally and Blake (but not Gan -
probably because he died on screen and the others disappeared), and finding
a way for everyone (or at least Avon, Vila, and Blake) to survive the
massacre in the series finale...

Andrea wrote (in reply to Cal):

>I guess this is where I tell my history....
>
>I started the project as an attempt to see if some of the major
>paradigms of popular culture and pleasure held up when applied to a
>specific group of viewers. (Adorno, Mulvey, Foucault, et al)  I am
>unsatisfied with the applicability of this material when it concerns
>fandom, especially fandoms that create other products.
>
>That's what started this project since then....
>
>I've been reading, Constance Penley on Slash, Henry Jenkins on Slash
>and fan communites. I even recently scored a copy of Lisa Lewis's (editor)
>book on Fans (not yet available this was a preview copy a prof had).

        Please post the cite for Jenkins B&B article! Someone else also
asked and I second the request. What is the title of Lewis's book and when
will it be available?

>I've been reading Cavell to get an idea of what is an audience, star
>etc. and I have been attempting to define what is a fan as well as
>what separates a fan who creates vs one who just watches. I've been
>reading many of the essays from Cultural Studies (ed. by Grossberg,
>Treichler, and Nelson) and I've been talking to everyone who is
>doing work on this to see if any of us is coming up with anything.

        Who have you talked to? Are a lot of people researching fandom
and fanzines?

>I'm pretty sure that a good deal of what I have read, is part of the
>list that ran around during the fan/slash conversation a month ago.
>
>If you want the authors specifically from the collections I
>mentioned I could compile a list, it might just be easier for me to
>post my reading list and go from there.

        Yes, please post your reading list! I'm not researching the
topic, BTW, I'm just very interested in it. That's at least 5 of us,
so please keep posting information to the list.

                        Sue