SCREEN-L Archives

April 1992

Date:
Sun, 19 Apr 1992 13:24:40 PDT
I saw the vaunted Ren+Stimpy this morning on Nickelodeon, much to the
amusement of my teenage daughter, who has not yet exhausted her ability
to be entertained by the academic pursuits of her dad. There were two
stories and what appeared to be fillers for absent commercials. The two
stories were concerned with a Robin Hood parody and Stimpy as nurse do a
sick Ren. While I found them mildly amusing, they didn't come close to
resembling what I'd been led to expect in the previous thread of
discussion. Obviously I'm missing something, but I don't quite know what
it might be. I suppose one could do an industrial-strength post-modern
reading of the cartoon's artistic style, but somehow I don't think
that's what people find funny about it. Not even my daughter could help
me.

Henry Breitrose