SCREEN-L Archives

March 1992

From:
Andrew Vernon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Mar 1992 20:46:25 CST
On Mon, 16 Mar 1992 07:34:40 +0100 Bert Deivert - Svenska-Filmvet. - HiK said:
>Rock video fans:
>I am using Michael Jackson's video "Black or White" for a popular
>culture class, and need a little background material on it.  Did John
>Landis direct it?  Has anyone seen any interesting articles on it in
>any magazines or newspapers?

There was <<lots>> of controversy surrounding "Black or White." The
original cut, if you remember, had the four-minute-long "Panther
Sequence," in which Jackson raged through a violent surge of anger and
testosterone. Jackson threw a steel drum through a storefront, smashed
up an abandoned car, and grabbed <at the least> his crotch numberous
times. In the following days, _USA Today_, _Rolling Stone_, and
_Entertainment Weekly_ all ran articles about the backlash from fans and
parents who saw the clip. _EW_ ran some of the most insightful copy, so
it would be one to read. As far as meanings, many have speculated what
Jackson had in mind, whether it was a case of image-change run-amuck, or
the whole fiasco was a carefully organized media event to inflate his
career to the demi-god status he held eight years ago. If you have
trouble finding the magazine, send me a personal mail and I'll see if I
still have a copy.