SCREEN-L Archives

January 1992

From:
Carol Slingo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 1992 09:13:18 CST
To:  Town hall & opera house lovers:

If you are in Michigan's U.P., or near Eagle River, Wisconsin, take a ride over
 to Iron River
(halfway between Escanaba and Ironwood) and check out the third floor of the
 City Hall, where
the old Opera House used to be.  The city turned this space into a rec center
 for teens, without
changing the essential structure--the balcony and the stage are still
 recognizable.  I asked a city
employee for permission to take pictures.  She gave me a key and I browsed
 around.  Real glad
they saved this place.  (I remember Pinckneyville very well.)  Iron River had a
 theater called the
Delft until the 70s or early 80s.  My cousins and I went to Durango Kid movies
 and serials there
all through the 50s.  The story I heard was that it was torn down out of spite
 by feuding
members of the family that owned it.  Now there's just the shopping mall.

Carol Slingo