SCREEN-L Archives

January 1992

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 27 Jan 1992 11:01:34 CST
Comments:
Anyone help with this?---A.J. Wright

This is a rather emergency request for assistance from Project Gutenberg.
Please forward it to those you feel might be able to be of assistance.

Please respond as immediately as possible.

We have been working on "O Pioneers!" by Willa Cather (1913) for release
this Spring, hopefully in concert with a Hallmark Hall of Fame television
presentation.  We had begun the process of contacting the proper people
at Hallmark and CBS, but were not hurrying things because our information
led us to believe the broadcast would be in April or May.

However, tonight I saw an announcement on CBS indicating that the date is
to be next Sunday, leaving us just under seven days to set things up for
what we had hoped to be a "Read More About It" spot offering free copies
to those with InterNet connections via Project Gutenberg.

If you know anyone who might be able to put us in contact with the people
in charge of this production, please send me their names and phone numbers,
so we can attempt to make the arrangements in the next five days that we
had thought to make over the next few months.

This is a very valuable experiment in the effort to get people to read more
about the material shown on television, and any kind of positive result may
lead to a series of future efforts to provide the public with free electronic
copies of books adapted for television.  Obviously this could include other
Hallmark presentations such as the classic Mary Martin Peter Pan, Alice in
Wonderland, the Bible, the Wizard of Oz, and other material for the whole
range of family members of all ages.

|       The trend of library policy is clearly toward
|       the ideal of making all information available
|       without delay to all people.
|
|The Software Toolworks Illustrated Encyclopedia (TM)
|(c) 1990 Grolier Electronic Publishing, Inc.

Thank you for your interest,

Michael S. Hart, Director, Project Gutenberg
National Clearinghouse for Machine Readable Texts

The views expressed herein do not necessarily reflect
the views of any person or institution.  Neither Prof
Hart nor Project Gutenberg have any official contacts
with the University of Illinois.

Mail will be considered for release in our newsletter
and notes unless otherwise requested.

Email addresses:
BITNET> HART@UIUCVMD  INTERNET> [log in to unmask]
Also as the Usenet group bit.listserv.gutnberg
CompuServe:  >INTERNET:[log in to unmask]
Attmail:  internet!vmd.cso.uiuc.edu!HART