SCREEN-L Archives

December 1991

Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 1991 16:33:00 EST
I wonder if anyone can help me in identifying when the term "gray scale"
was first used? The OED suggests 1959 as the first usage, which seems
quite a lot later than I would have thought. I had always assumed that
it was virtually related to the development of photography.

I am also interested when the concept of what Johannes Itten first identified
as a tone value scale developed. I thought possibly people interested in
the history of film (and or photographic) technology might know. Many
thanks.

Donald Theall